Unanswered: utl_file/create directory

Hi,
    I am not sure if this is possible or if someone would have a workaround but here's my problem ..

I need to load files from a directory located on the db server. The problem with is that all the file are located in multiple subdirectories under the same main directory. Now I know that if I create an "oracle directory" ( new utl_file dir in ora9i) as the main directory , I would not be able to see or load any files in the sub directories...
    so i've tried ...

CREATE DIRECTORY log_dir AS '/dir/subdir1,/dir/subdir2';

the command is successful , but when running the pl/sql procedure it doesn't seem to see the files in the second sub directory.

Do I have to create multiple oracle directories? I really don't want to do this because of the number of sub directories , and putting all files under the same directory wont work because the file names are not unique.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by accelmtl
    Do I have to create multiple oracle directories? I really don't want to do this because of the number of sub directories , and putting all files under the same directory wont work because the file names are not unique.

Thanks...
    Do you have directory names in a table or do they follow some kind of pattern like subdir1 through subdir100?
    If so you maybe able to create and drop directories on the fly.
    Code:
    loop
     exit when  

EXECUTE IMMEDIATE
     'CREATE DIRECTORY log_dir AS ''/dir/subdir1,/dir/subdir2'';

read from it

EXECUTE IMMEDIATE
     'DROP DIRECTORY log_dir AS ''/dir/subdir1,/dir/subdir2'';

EXECUTE IMMEDIATE
     'CREATE DIRECTORY log_dir AS ''/dir/subdir1,/dir/subdir3'';

and so on

end loop;
    My way or the highway. Yeah

The sub directories do follow a certain pattern , they are created by date . I guess this is my only option!!!
    I'll give it a try

Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by accelmtl
    The sub directories do follow a certain pattern , they are created by date . I guess this is my only option!!!
    I'll give it a try

Thanks .
    Why
    This is not all that scary.
    My way or the highway. Yeah