Thread: Change auditing

Unanswered: Change auditing

We're looking to audit UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE activity on a few of our tables.

The way I've usually done it is to create a trigger that uses the CURRENT USER register for the userid, and inserts the row into the audit table with a timestamp, etc.

Now, though, we use Websphere with a ConnectionPool, so all the users come in as the same userid (ie. a project userid, doesn't map to real people).

I found a fairly neat solution, which is to insert a row mapping the "real user" to the "application id":
    http://www-900.ibm.com/developerWork...html#section2b

But unfortunately it doesn't really work, since every HTTP request the user gets a new connection - might be the same one, but usually not.

Does anyone have a clever solution to this, short of passing the "real user" to every INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE in some way? I'm trying to avoid that, but doesn't look possible.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by J Petruk
    We're looking to audit UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE activity on a few of our tables.

The way I've usually done it is to create a trigger that uses the CURRENT USER register for the userid, and inserts the row into the audit table with a timestamp, etc.

Now, though, we use Websphere with a ConnectionPool, so all the users come in as the same userid (ie. a project userid, doesn't map to real people).

I found a fairly neat solution, which is to insert a row mapping the "real user" to the "application id":
    http://www-900.ibm.com/developerWork...html#section2b

But unfortunately it doesn't really work, since every HTTP request the user gets a new connection - might be the same one, but usually not.

Does anyone have a clever solution to this, short of passing the "real user" to every INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE in some way? I'm trying to avoid that, but doesn't look possible.
    I found that Oracle has some extentions to JDBC that let you set a PROXY_USER_NAME, which can then be retrieved on the backend... nice feature.

Db2?
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

Question

Hi Jonathan

This might be stupid, but can't you use the Audit facility
    with the context option - and import the results, then query
    the table on the tables you want to audit?

HTH
    Kristian K. Hansen
    Project Supervisor
    National Board of Health

I forgot

..this will not give you the true user, but it will
    give you a unique id pr. application session connecting.
    Kristian K. Hansen
    Project Supervisor
    National Board of Health

Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    ..this will not give you the true user, but it will
    give you a unique id pr. application session connecting.
    Because the connection itself is shared accross multiple users within the application, I'm still stuck.

I think I'm going to have to either pass the userid to db2 or let the application itself handle the audit.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

I figured this one out!

Java:
    ((com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Connection)con).setDB2ClientU ser("testusr");

Then on server:
    VALUES (CLIENT USERID)

Voila, no need to pass the actual userid through SQL.

Caveats:
    (1) There is no security on the call, you can pass whatever string you want as the user, even users that don't exist. Could build a security layer on the server side if one really wanted to.

(2) I haven't yet investigated whether something similar can be done from non-Java environments. I assume it can, but need to investigate.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by J Petruk
    I figured this one out!

Java:
    ((com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Connection)con).setDB2ClientU ser("testusr");

Then on server:
    VALUES (CLIENT USERID)

Voila, no need to pass the actual userid through SQL.

Caveats:
    (1) There is no security on the call, you can pass whatever string you want as the user, even users that don't exist. Could build a security layer on the server side if one really wanted to.

(2) I haven't yet investigated whether something similar can be done from non-Java environments. I assume it can, but need to investigate.
    FYI - there is a sample:
    samples\c\cli_info.c

That shows how to do this from the C side.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant