Unanswered: DB takes too much memory

Hi,

after restoring a production database on my development pc (quite a big production db), db2 is claiming 2GB of memory resulting in crazy swapping sessions of my PC which makes it unusable.

I tried several settings like decreasing "database_memory" pages and other stuff, but each time i connect to my db, the memory increases to about 2gb. Can someone tell me what i should do, to keep the memory usage of my db in some area about 500 megs? I must avoid swapping under all circumstances.

Short note on how i restored. I created a default empty database and restored the backup into the existing empty database.

Thanks for infos.

I don't know what you mean by "database_memory" pages, but the buffer pools are probably using the most memory. You can alter the number of pages for each of the defined buffer pools, or use the Control Center to change the size.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Can you attach your dbm cfg and db cfg output?

Naveen.
    Naveen Urs
    DBA Manager
    IBM Certified Solutions Expert - DB2 LUW V7, V9

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    I don't know what you mean by "database_memory" pages, but the buffer pools are probably using the most memory. You can alter the number of pages for each of the defined buffer pools, or use the Control Center to change the size.
    And if you cannot connect due to the current size, use DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF to set a temporary smaller bufferpool size... then update the "real" values as above, and unset that parameter.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

You get the db config from production. You have to change your bufferpool sizes using ALTER BUFFERPOOL... command. Run this db2 to see current allocations.
    db2 "select rtrim(bpname), npages,pagesize from syscat.bufferpools" HTH
    mota