Unanswered: Trying to load a sysbase database into SQLserver, need help

Hi I'm a bit new to this, but I have been give some flat file from a sysbase database and have been asked to import it into our SQLserver database.

However I'm not sure what to do, I have been given a .db and .log . but SQL server doesn't like either of these, is their something I should do to make it compatable? First tie I've ever look at Sybase so please use short words, Thanks Ed

Extract the data from sybase database in flat file format. convert the flat file to excel format.Then using import data utility of SQL server upload the file into respective tables...

Ask whether its an ASA or ASE database? Sybase has 3 databases

ASA - Desktop & mobile db
    ASE - OLTP
    IQ - Datawarehousing

Quote Originally Posted by Nixies
    Hi I'm a bit new to this, but I have been give some flat file from a sysbase database and have been asked to import it into our SQLserver database.

However I'm not sure what to do, I have been given a .db and .log . but SQL server doesn't like either of these, is their something I should do to make it compatable? First tie I've ever look at Sybase so please use short words, Thanks Ed
    You can't link a ASE database on a MS-SQL server.

You must
    1) create your DB on MS-SQL
    2) extract the DDL of all your Sybase objects using Sybase Central, PowerDesigner or any other tool allowing reverse engineering
    3) re-execute the sql script on MS-SQL. If needed, fix the issues regarding the difference between both T-SQL.
    4) export the data using bcp -c from ASE
    5) import the data using MS bcp -c to MS-SQL

Remark : stupid idea to pass from ASE to MS-SQL ;-)