Unanswered: db splitting advice

Hi all

I have a 90M Access 2000 DB running on a Windows 2003 Server network. The DB runs on the server is NOT split and seems fine with 2 (maybe 3) concurrent users but once more people use it then I need to Compact & Repair it regularly. A couple of times I’ve got a message about ‘can’t find sysmd’ and then have had to revert to a back-up.

I understand the principle of splitting the DB and creating local Front Ends for each user. When I do this the BE is 18M and the FE is 80M (there are many forms and reports with OLE’s, etc). What I was wondering is will splitting it make it more reliable with say, 4-6 users? Also, in order to reduce the size of the FE I was going to separate the specific queries, forms & reports to different departmental specific ‘mini front ends’. Is this a good idea? And if so then would there be any further conflicts if I gave some users Edit or Design rights (most posts suggest making these MDE's) to their own department FE’s?

Apologies for the length but this is my first post…

Any advice gratefully received – many thanks!
    Steve

Have you tried just linking your OLE objects instead of imbedding them? Then you will have to keep the files in the same folder all the time, but I think that would help on front end size.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

I agree with JS - you should try using linked OLE instead of embedded to reduce the size of FE but also among the different versions of access from 97 to access 2003, access 2000 is the most unreliable and buggy version according to my experince with it on different OS(s) even after applying the SPs. If you can update it to atleast access 2002 that might help with reduceing the run time system errors or bugs.

Thanks guys - will consider the 2003 upgrade. Not sure about the difference between linking & embedding... quick explanation???

Also, would the splitting I suggested cause any improvement to multiple users problems?

Cheers
    Steve

It might help with the Multiple user problems it might hurt. I am not sure as I have yet to split my database.

As far as linking an object you go through the same steps to embed it, except for one little check box that says something along the lines of 'insert as a link'

Let me check access and I will tell you more exactly how to do it...

JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Click the 'Create from File' radio button. Then use those options to find your pictures. Make sure before you click okay you click the 'Link' check box.

Hope that helps some,
    JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs