Unanswered: Turn off Security

I have a number of DBs with Access security working just fine... I want to create a new DB with no security that will load for all users without going through the .mdw login security. I created the mdb and it requires user login.
    Any way to do this?
    thanks
    Winston

You might want to consider reinstalling MS Access on your computer it should set the default .MDW back to the default settings. If you just edited the default .mdw then you may have a few problems to over come. I hope you created a different .mdw so this wont hurt too bad.

Let me know more of your situation please.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Remove Security

I removed the security as per Access "Remove User Level Security"... what it did was also remove the security on my other dbs. Obviously it updated the .mdw

Is there a way to define a different mdw for each db and have the mdw linked to a mdb so that when you open the mdb/mde it uses a specific mdw?

Thanks
    Winston

There most certainly is. I have a post in another thread. Let me look it up and it will explain exactly how to do just what you are wanting... a different .mdw for each database or you can create one and use the same one you created for multiple databases it is totally up to you.

JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Remove Security

Thanks... looking forward to your pointer.
    Winston

Take a look at this link...

http://www.jmhare.com/dbsecurity.htm

I can't seem to understand how this allows different mdw's for each mdb/e. I tried it and whenever I go into access using the command line on the last page of the document, it changes my mdw to a new one in the primary /Program Files/Microsoft/Office10 etc.

I rejoin the proper mdw and exit. When I go back into access I am still linked to the proper mdw. All I really want to do is assign a specific mdw to each mdb.
    Perhaps I am a bit thick today.
    Any ideas?
    thanks,
    Winston

I am sorry I forgot to finish looking up that thread for you... hehe I got tied up with my real job .

Hold on I will try this again...
    JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Here is the link

Found it! :P

Hope this helps you figure it out.

I have found no way to remove a .mdw security once created. I have tried to remove mine for several reasons. Do a search for .mdw I have another thread that might be useful to you.

JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Use the MSAccess help "Remove User-level security". It works just fine. But... I looked at your script. Don't understand how that creates a different mdw for each mdb. It just looks like the standard mdw (security assignment) routine. I guess my objective is to have Access automatically join a predefined workgroup upon start up. If they open a different mdb it joins a different predefind mdw.
    I'm sorry if I am dense today. Finally finished getting access/vba to de/relink tables. Works like a charm, but it took a while to get there.
    thanks for all your help.
    Winston

Hmm... the thread I sent explained how to create a .mdw with different users and usernames. Is that not what you were wanting?

If that isnt or even if it is let me know maybe there is something I could explain a bit more... I understand what you are talking about. I am ready to go home... its 4:30pm here :P

JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

The goal is (hopefully) quite simple. Just a different mdw for each mdb/mde. Without the user having to join different work groups... perhaps in the command line like this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" /wrkgrp "C:\TheUnion\SystemDBX.mdw" "C:\Folder1\DBX.mdb"

but when I tried it, Access ignored SystemDBX.mdw and created a new system.mdw. It seemed to copy the characteristics of SystemDBX.mdw to the system.mdw, but I don't understand why. Perhaps what I should do is create another mdb with a different mdw and try each one separately one after the other and see if they recognize proper security.
    Any comments?

Thanks,
    Winston

There's only one word to describe MS-Access "security": nonexistent.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Yea try several different ones. My main database is on security. All the rest of them arent, and it shows that difference... I will paste what is supposed to be in your short cut to access the database.

Target:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Documents and Settings\The Vortex\My Documents\CT Industries\ctrim.mdb" /WRKGRP "C:\Documents and Settings\The Vortex\My Documents\CT Industries\Secured.mdw"

The database file is supposed to come first. (I noticed you had the .mdw first)

Start In:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\The Vortex\My Documents\CT Industries"

That is what it is supposed to be like.

Hope this helps some more.
    JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Quote Originally Posted by sundialsvcs
    There's only one word to describe MS-Access "security": nonexistent.
    How would you secure an access database?

JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs