Unanswered: IDS 9.40! which OS should i choose?

Hi forum,

we plan to set up a new DB-Server for our Department. I want so use INFORMIX Server 9.40 but regarding the Operating System I am not sure which one I should choose. I am pending between Windows2003 Server, Win-XP or Win2k.
    My faforite OS is Win2003 because it is the newest OS. Are ther any serious problems known in combination with IDS 9.40?
    regarding theese 3 Choices what would You prefer? Any suggestions?

regards

zap8p

Well, officially 2003 is supported.
    Fred Prose

Does anyone has a working IDS-Version on 2003

Yes, Win2003 is supported, but is this a good Choice?
    What about bugs? In my oppinion, it seems that the newer IDS Versions are more buggy than the old ones. For example the version IDS 9.30.TC7 is not usable because of the onsnmp.exe Process which is growing permanently until the whole computer is wrecked. I wonder if there is any Control of Quality left since they "joined" IBM.

Does anyone has a working IDS-Version on 2003?

I would be very glad to hear from you.

THX

zap8p

new iDS

Will this be a production server? If not, go with whatever your engineers are strongest on, although I find that Windows "engineers" rarely know how to tune a machine regardless of what its running - and thats not exactly the slight it sounds like. Theres been a drift of responsibilties for guys who used to be network engineers to administrate big, mission critical Windows servers and managnig a box is such a different beast than managing a network. Especially on boxes that are hosting a database; the old shrink wrap mentalitiy doesnt work. Unix/AIX is great for informix and I have found that when it comes to knowing how to actually do things besides installs, fix things or tune things, unix admins to be light years ahead of their certified windows peers.

To be honest, while there are OS limitations and bugs to consider, once IDS is stable you really have to start thinking of informix as sort of a stand alone OS that happens to sits on top of whatever OS your hardware is running. Thats due to the virtualization of CPU and IO, etc...that IDS does.

Have a look at similar looking thread:

http://www.dbforums.com/t994602.html

Choices Windows2000
    MSN:jianghua1213@hotmail.com
    Beijing China
    http://www.91talk.net
    http://www.91talk.com