Thread: Indexes

Unanswered: Indexes

We have a Sybase database that is ASE. We create clustered indexes with the IGNORE_DUP_ROW option. What is the name for this type of index in oracle?

B*Tree clustered index with compress option??

Maybe just B*Tree index using compress
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Can I use B*Tree for th Allow_Dup_Option in Sybase also?

It is same time ago, that i used Sybase. In my mind a Sybase clusterd index is called a "Index-Organized table" in Oracle terms.

Have a closer look a the documentation:
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...chem.htm#23878

In Sybase (and SQLServer) a clustered index will save the row data in order such that the first row of the table is physically first. This is why do do not want to change a key value very often in these database. Oracle has no simular support for this.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoi313
    In Sybase (and SQLServer) a clustered index will save the row data in order such that the first row of the table is physically first. This is why do do not want to change a key value very often in these database. Oracle has no simular support for this.
    Cluster index concept in Oracle is very different. You can take it as columns of 2 or more tables having similar datatypes and are related, then they can be stored at a common physical location. Since it is read from same disk area, the retrieval is faster incase of the tables are joined.
    Thanks and Regards,

Praveen Pulikunnu