Unanswered: Greater Than equation??

Hi

In my database i have a different table for each appointment that a client ttends. There are 5 appointments and the same measurements are taken at each appointment.

Activity Levels is one of the measurements taken at each appointment. I want to be able to have a query that finds the people whose activity levels have increased between the first and last appointment. Is this possible.

Cheers

You should be able to do it,

Question: How are you recording level of activity (is it numerical ie scale 1- 10)

you could try

SELECT me.someactivity
    FROM me.activitytable
    WHERE activity > (SELECT avg(someactivity) FROM activitytable);

try that (as sn SQL statement either on its own or in MS Access SQL view) or if your using MS Access (in query design view) under the criteria put =>

think that should help (maybe not)

substitute your table and filed names for the 'someactitvity' and 'activitytable'

HTH

Provided Answers: 1
    noddy is on the right track I think.. If you want to use ONLY the first and last, you could alter the statement a bit:

SELECT me.someactivity
    FROM me.activitytable
    WHERE activity > (SELECT TOP 1 someactivity FROM activitytable WHERE activitytable.clientid=me.clientid ORDER BY date ASC)
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

been thinking about this all day.....actually a better way of doing this sort of query would be to use the function max()

your query would now look like:

SELECT some_ability_score
    FROM sometable
    WHERE some_ability_score > (SELECT max(some_ability_score)
    FROM sometable ); [and if you need to join tables
    use
    WHERE sometable.some_ability_score =
    anothertable.some_ability_score ]

this takes the existing max value and checks to see if the value you enter is greter than it!

Should be more what your looking for!

Cam

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm just being nosey at this point, but why on earth would you have five identical tables ?!?! Wouldn't this be faster and easier if you had everything in one table?

I would expect that you'd create a query that joined the two tables based on the appropriate key values, then compared the two columns.

Am I missing something?

-PatP