Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10

    Unanswered: Help needed: Cannot connect to MySQL over the network

    Hi everyone,

    Big-time noobie here. This is my current situation:

    1) I am rewriting a database frontend (language used is VB.NET) to work with MySQL. The MySQL server computer is the one I'm currently using as a development area. Everything worked fine and dandy with local connections (ie host=localhost and that good stuffs).

    2) Now I am trying to get the database to work over the network. Basically, I compiled the VB.NET front end (written for MySQL) and then put the EXE into each computer on the network.

    3) Problem: After installing those EXEs on the client computers, I cannot get connected into the MySQL database (which resides on server computer).

    Other things I've checked: I've used DSN to check to see if the client computers can actually access the MySQL database. This went fine, no problem. I then used DBTools 2.0 (a MySQL management program) and install it on one client computer to test to see if I can access and change the MySQL database on the server computer. This went well also.

    So what could be the problem? I suppose it's something with my front end, but locally everything works fine, same DSN-less connection strings. Just that over the network the front end would not connect and extract data.

    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone in advance!
    Last edited by archspeed; 05-13-04 at 16:45.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by archspeed
    3) Problem: After installing those EXEs on the client computers, I cannot get connected into the MySQL database (which resides on server computer).
    Could you please be more specific on the error message?
    Did you install MyODBC on the client computers?

    Noodles

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10
    Noodles: Yes, I did install MyODBC on the client computers.

    I'm a try-catch guy, so this time I got punked bad. The error message is the one I used for try-catch, it's my own error message. Not good this time. Cant' figure out what's wrong, so I took off the try-catch and just leave the module to crash on its own and hopefully I will get some clues through the exception it throws.

    Yeppie. Turned out the client computers do not have MDAC 2.6 or later, since .NET I believe requires MDAC 2.6 or later. The server computer is running MDAC 2.7. I installed MDAC 2.7 on the client computers, and now everything is fine.

    Thanks for the thought, Noodle. I'm glad I found it out quick, I had to finish this project by end of tomorrow. Whew!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •