Unanswered: sql lookup problem

Hi wondering if someone can suggest the best way to do the following...

I have a combox with customer names, when 1 is selected the name is inserted into a text box on a sub form. As well as that a sql query is run and the customerID is inserted into a table (CustomerOrder).

[CustomerOrder]
    OrderID Autonumber
    CustomerID Number

What I need to do is get the OrderID from the table.

Any suggestions appreciated.

JD

Provided Answers: 1
    I don't get what you need to do here, but check into the DLookup function. It's handy for returning a single value based one criteria.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Bascilly I need to get the OrderID that is created when the customerID is inserted into the table.

The customerID is not unique so cant use it to find the orderID. I was thinking of getting the last value inserted into the database.

JD

still no luck with this one

anyone got a suggestion ? anything to push me in the correct direction

JD

Hi JD

Teddy was, I think, pointing you in the right direction. However, maybe the DMax function will be best suited to the particular problem. I am presuming that the autonumber is incremental and this function will be run immediatley after the insertion, otherwise the following fails. It also assumes you have the CustonerID value in a text box (called txtCustomerID) on a form:

try:
    Dim lngOrderID as long

lngOrderID = dmax("OrderID", "CustomerOrder", "customerID = '" & me.txtCustomerID & "'")

Hope that does it!
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 1
    Given the additional criteria, I think the DMax() function would indeed be a more efficient way around the situation. I should add that depending on the timing of the function, you may need to increment the value returned by DMax() by 1. The reason I suggest this, is until you move to the next record in your subform, the record does not exist for the purposes of a dblookup. Therefore you may have to "artificially" determine what that next number is going to be. The statement then becomes:

lngOrderID = dmax("OrderID", "CustomerOrder", "customerID = '" & me.txtCustomerID & "'") + 1
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***