MS Access to Oracle

I have an existing database that I'm redesigning. It is currently a stand alone MS Access database that tracks Problem Change Reports and Test Discrepencies. I would like to continue to use the MS Access as my frontend. The content is there. The design is sound. And the users have been involve from conception. Plus, I do not have the time to redesign the frontend which is essentially just the user interface. Why reinvent the wheel, right?

I have two questions concerning my design:

1) Can MS Access be connected and used in conjunction with Oracle? Is there any documentation?

2) Our Oracle suite currently sits on a Unix box. And obviously, MS Access will reside on the users' PC Desktop. Will there be a problem connecting from PC based MS Access to Unix based Oracle?

If there is any documantation that some might suggest please let me know.

Thanks,

Animaul

Quote Originally Posted by Animaul
    I have an existing database that I'm redesigning. It is currently a stand alone MS Access database that tracks Problem Change Reports and Test Discrepencies. I would like to continue to use the MS Access as my frontend. The content is there. The design is sound. And the users have been involve from conception. Plus, I do not have the time to redesign the frontend which is essentially just the user interface. Why reinvent the wheel, right?

I have two questions concerning my design:

1) Can MS Access be connected and used in conjunction with Oracle? Is there any documentation?

2) Our Oracle suite currently sits on a Unix box. And obviously, MS Access will reside on the users' PC Desktop. Will there be a problem connecting from PC based MS Access to Unix based Oracle?

If there is any documantation that some might suggest please let me know.

Thanks,

Animaul
    Access is mildly tempermental with Oracle, but it will work if you ask nicely.

1) Yes, you can use Access with any ODBC or OLE-DB compliant database engine. There is extensive documentation for doing this in the MS-Access help files.

2) Access will not have any more problems accessing an Oracle database on a Unix box than any other PC based product will have.

-PatP