Program tip wanted: "Download monitor"

I am looking for a tool that gives me a list in descending sort order of all incoming/downloaded files, grouped by date - also descending (newest first).
    It must be a program that checks all files that has been downloaded, whether it is through the browser, FT, or via Wi-Fi, etc. It should report in simple form, only files that could have viruses/trojans in them, hence not all file types. Should be possible to click and directly delete the actual file in the list.

Anyone out there that knows of such software?

Daniel.

Wow.. that's a tall order.. just about ANY file on your computer could be downloaded from a browser, file transfer or Wi-Fi (which would be a file transfer). You'd have to scan regularly and produce a delta list. Why can't you just use a commercial virus scanner?
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Well, what I am looking for is something that monitors the network traffic, and whenever a "new file" comes in, it should simply be put in log, a list of files, which folders they were stored in, the timestamp, and preferably the source (ip/domain, or other), regardless if it comes in through the browser, through ftp, thorough networking neighborhood connection protocols, etc. Not a scanner that scans what is already in, but a logger that logs the activity just when it happens. Then I can ask for a partial listing of for example which files "came in" today, yesteday, or last week, whatever.

Actually, I would like a list of the opposite as well, what has been send/uploaded. Not important if they are not viruses or bad programs etc.

If everyone in a work place knew that all file activity between computers and the internet was logged, maybe one could raise the productivity a bit...
    And it would be useful from a security perspective, in order to find out what had happened in a "situation", etc. It would be fair for all, as everything was logged, no-one excluded. But I am only talking about FILES, not ACTIVTY in general.

Mostly it would be used to check when and how new unrecognised (at the point of entry) trojans/viruses etc. entered the network.

D.

"Smart walls" do exist, but they are horrifically expensive and require constant supervision. Our parent company's infrastructure group looked at one earlier this year, but decided not to persue it due to the cost (around $250,000 US for purchase, about $30,000US/year for maintenance) of the box, plus the cost of six additional techs to give 24 by 7 coverage.

-PatP

Not sure if this request needs any "huge" solution.
    How hard is it to simply monitor and log file names setting timestamps in a list? Must be some simple logging tools out there. I am not asking for solutions with built-in behaviour/protection or anything like that. Got other tools for protection, only need one to keep listing what is going on.

D.

I'd love to hear about it if you find something that does what you need. The problems in just decoding PPTP, IPSec, and XML encoding would be enough to make for a very complex, busy application in my opinion! Then when you get into staying on top of Kazaa and related security nightmares... Ick!

-PatP

will post my findings :-)

D.