Question Unanswered: need help moving dates from one table to another using a DTS...

I have a timestamp in one table that is of datetime type and I need to move it to a table with a Varchar(30) type. What is happening is a date that should be set up like this "11/12/2004" is actually coming across as "Nov 12 2004". I tried using a cast(fieldname) as Varchar(30) on the datetime type, but it didn't help. does anyone have any ideas on how to retain the original date form in moving it to a varchar type? thanks in advance...

You can use ... convert(varchar(10),yourcol,101) for the same ... but why do you want to keep dates as varchar ... that can cause a lot of problems later ....
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

I'm more comfortable using the dates as strings in VB Script than I am using SQL to do things as I am still a beginner when it comes to SQL. Thank you for your help. Just a quick question...if convert works why didn't cast work when I first tried it?

In convert you can use styles to specify the format in which your output comes
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

thank you very much!!

Provided Answers: 54
    Just an observation, but if you let SQL do the date handling, and you have indices on your date columns, you can often pick up 1000+ times improvement in performance.

-PatP

I have since converted my table to be of datetime instead of varchar. hopefully this corrects all problems.