Unanswered: How do I link to a closed file

I want to link some cells of one workbook to another, but don't want to have to open the second workbook everytime. The book I am using talks about the getvalue function, but says that when creating a worksheet formula you do not need this function, but can simply create a link formula to retrieve a value from a closed file. How do you do this? Thanks in advance.

By linking, do you mean that you want the value from a cell in a closed workbook? If so, use the full file path name. In this case, put this formula into a cell in your current workbook:

='C:\Documents and Settings\johnny\My Documents\~~Working Folder\Excel Tests\[Test.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1

This will reference the value in cell A1 in the closed book.

If you mean by linking, hyperlinking to the file, then use Insert > Hyperlink and find the file that you need.

If I have totally misunderstood, post back, and we'll try another.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

I have been trying it the way you first mentioned using this type of formula

='C:\Documents and Settings\johnny\My Documents\~~Working Folder\Excel Tests\[Test.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1

But that isn't working. When I open the workbook I want updated, it says that some of links could not be updated. But when I open the workbook that holds the values I want to refrence it updates fine. What am I doing wrong? I should mention that I am trying to link to a .dbf, but it doesn't seem to be a problem when both files are open.