Unanswered: advice on access

Hello,

I created an inventory and logging database for work using Access 2000 a couple of months ago and now I want to access this DB from the web.

Being new to programming I rather hoped somebody could advise me on how to start this.

We have win 2000 srv and IIS 5.0. Do I need to recreate the access front end in ASP or HTML? Currently I use the access switch board.

I don't suppose there is an easy way of converting my DB in HTML format?

Any help to set me on the right track will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

Are you talking about displaying data from database on the web page?

Something along those lines. I would like to put the access forms into a webpage so we could use the program from the web. For example, all the combo boxes and add commands and report commands and so on. The more I think about this the more I think it is a harder project than I first thought. I simply want to place this DB on our website so we can use it on the move- amending and viewing the data.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Mick

You'll need to write all the functions in a web scripting language like ASP, PHP, etc. and HTML. So to view, add, delete, update records, you'll need to develop an HTML page in ASP (for example) that interfaces with the DB to do what you want. There are many online tutorials and books dedicated to doing just this.

An example flow of viewing a record in a DB would be:
    1) Create connection to DB
    2) Query DB for record(s), store returned rows in a recordset
    3) Check that recordset has rows
    4) Write the data from the recordset to the browser (formatted in HTML).
    5) Close recordset
    6) Close connection to DB.

So do some research on ASP, and ADO (ADO is the technology used to connect to the DB from ASP - you do not need to purchase anything new, it's installed by default). That should keep you pretty busy. When you have specific questions about ASP code, let us know.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

I think that you can get some help from the following book:

Beginning ASP Databases, by John Kauffman, Wrox