Unanswered: Help with computer date/time and Access

For various reasons it had become necessary for me to either:

1) Block someone from changing the computer date/time or

2) If it can't be blocked have a system that lets me know if the person has changed the date/time.

One "solution" I had was a macro running On Timer where it created a new record and set the date/time. But that was no good because even when set at 60 seconds it chewed up the memory on the computer after an hour or so.

My current "solution" is that the macro I had running OnTimer has instead been placed in a whole lot of other macros that used for doing all the different things when the data base is being used.

The problem related to making file notes.

Any ideas of a better way.

Thanks

Mike

Provided Answers: 1
    I'm confused... are we talking about the system time or a date/time field in access?

If you need to restrict access to changing the system time on the computer itself, you may want to look at security options for each groupl. Users have to be admins either locally or ont he domain in order to change the system time. Anything else will prevent that change.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

imo, access can't keep people from changing the system time. if you have administrative control over their computers, you might make sure they only have user privileges (rather than administrator ones which would allow them to change the system time). if you don't, you might check the time via an internet ntp server and compare it to the system time. that situation would be quite complex, however. also, if your users are able to edit the access application, they can of course remove your safeguards. knowing that often suboptimal solutions (from a technical perspective) are sufficient in business life, here's my 2 cents on your solution:
    Can you elaborate? That macro of yours writes the current date/time into a record, then after 60 seconds checks if more/less than 60 seconds have "passed" and updates the record?
    If the macro terminates after each call, I am not sure why it is wasting memory. Maybe if you implement this in VBA and take care that you free all used memory (f.i. objects) after use, you can avoid that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    I'm confused... are we talking about the system time or a date/time field in access?

If you need to restrict access to changing the system time on the computer itself, you may want to look at security options for each groupl. Users have to be admins either locally or ont he domain in order to change the system time. Anything else will prevent that change.
    When file notes are made then the computer's date/time is forms part of the file notes made. So if someone decides to change the computer's data/time before making the file note then I want to know.

I want to avoid getting involved with users and administrators.

Mike

Provided Answers: 1
    You're going to have a rough time triggering events in access from windows itself.

The best solution I can think of was already mentioned, compare the current date/time to something that's SUPPOSED to be synchornized. Users that are changing the date/time before making notes shouldn't be local administrators IMO. Obviously they don't have the responsiblity required.

You should seriously look into your user permissions at the OS level. Seriously.

The macro simply opened a form and went to new record, setvalued the time and date and closed the form. After about an hour the computer started to slow down.

The main issue is with gov't licencing of the insurance business in Australia.

The current thing I have of the macro being attached to others is probably Ok but if there was a neater way, well that would be good.

It is not possible for someone to start up the data base without using the start up the macro and the last action line there runs the macro that does the date/time. Someone could make a file note, then change the computers date/time back and then just close Access down. If they changed the date it would show up when the start up macro was run again (perhaps the next day) but not if they only changed the time. Although the odds of that happening would be incredibly small.

Mike