Unanswered: Too Many Fields Defined?

I got a message Too Many Fields Defined in a report. Please tell me that I don't have to cut out some of my text boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by tjarvas
    I got a message Too Many Fields Defined in a report. Please tell me that I don't have to cut out some of my text boxes.
    I have used the workaround off combining fields in a query to reduce the number of defined fields if a manage cannot live with anything less. Then you can use string functions to split up the contents for display in unbound controls in the report. Odd but it works.
    KC

I don't think that I can use unbound textboxes. My query is at the limit as it is. If I put one more Column in the I get the error, "query is too complex" So, i guess I am screwed. I looked up the specifications in access and it said that I can have up too 754 sources. I think I have in the high 500's. So I don't know why it tell me the report has to many defined fields.

The way around that problem is to do the calculations on separate forms.

You then use code or a macro to open each form, then set the value of your unbound text boxes on your report, then close the form. You have the code or macro run through all the forms one after the other. So the code or macro first opens the report, then runs through all the forms to set the value of the text boxes and then it prints the report.

However, there is a catch. If the calculations on the forms are done with unbound text boxes then the set value action will occur before the text box on the form has done its calculation. There are two ways around that problem.

The first way is to have the setvalue action on the forms Timer Event and set it for a couple of seconds. In the code or macro you have the closing of the form and the opening of the next form which in turn has the same sort of code or macro on its timer event.

The second and easiest way is to have the calculation on the forms to be from a query. That way the calculation is done when the form opens.