Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Some Basic Overview questions

I've done some basic database stuff with Access and ASP, but I have a client who has told me that he is in over his head and wants me to try getting his "mini CMS" site to work. He told me that he set everything up in Dreamweaver using ASP and "MSSQL"

I have never used what he calls: "MSSQL" before. Do I need software to create an "MSSQL" database? or is it all coded?

Also, one other question. The whole purpose of this site is to have Admin users log in to a page where they can edit the content of a page and upload it. If there is a large block of text, does it all reside in a field in the database, or would it be a link to a text file? kind of like linking to an image since images don't actually reside in the database.

Thanks for any direction you might have
    BEN

MSSQL = Microsoft SQL Server

Yes, you'll need to purchase the software to manage it. You can store the text in a "text" datatype within SQL Server. As for storing images in a DB, you can do that too.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Thanks but can you clarify? I'm not physically on the server. I just want to connect to the server, upload a database, and then connect to it.

What do you mean by "manage it"?

If your client already has SQL Server then you just need to install Enterprise Manager from the Micrsoft SQL Server installation CD.

Once you have Enterprise Manager installed you can connect to the SQL Server, view the databases, create new ones, execute queries, etc (aka "Manage").

When you say "upload a database", what do you mean? Are you trying to convert an Access database to SQL Server?

I think I understand Maybe

I'm used to Access where I have MSACCESS installed on my computer, I build the database, then upload it to my server where I use ASP to connect to the database and display the info in an html page.

So as I understand it then, I need "Enterprise Manager" in order to modify databases residing on MSSQL Server?

Right.. with Access you copy the entire MDB from your computer to the server when you're ready. With SQL Server, the DB always resides on the server, and you need software to connect to it.

You can import Access into SQL Server, but that's another discussion.

Hmmm strange concept. Thanks for your help.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Provided Answers: 1
    tinwarrior, be prepared for a steep learning curve if this is your first foray in Microsoft SQL Server, or database servers in general.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Right... you may want to re-evaluate your deadline if you're under one. Unless your client has a DBA, you may also want to buy a book and start your research. As strange a concept as this may seem to you, it's the norm. Oracle, Sybase, DB2, SQL Server, they're all server models. You're comfortable with Access? Get over it, and the sooner you do, the sooner you can move on to bigger and better things!

Strange...reading this I get the compelling feeling akin to that of people looking at a wreck on the highway....

You want to look away, but you just can't
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

More like the feeling you get when you see that a wreck is ABOUT to happen...

...and strictly speaking, you do not need Enterprise Manager to manage your databases. It is just a GUI front end that makes the tasks a helluva lot easier. You could manage the server from any SQL interface.
    Last edited by blindman; 05-20-04 at 16:28.

blindman

It's somewhere just after the screech of the wheels, but just before the inevitable crash... you ever noticed that you're disappointed when you hear screeching wheels but no crash? Maybe it's just me...

alas, we've diverged...

I don't think we've diverged at all. I think this poor chap needs to realize that he needs to get the assistance of a skilled SQL DBA, or he is going to be on the hook to his client repairing, tweaking, and debugging for years.

blindman

Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku
    alas, we've diverged...
    What? Again?

Damn, I hate when that happens...
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.