Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: Access 2003 crashes after using a filter.

I'm having a problem with the built in filtering tools in Access 2003 while using an Access project connected to SQL Server 2000.

1) Using a 'single form' style of form that includes one or more subform define a filter using the 'Filter by Form' icon (funnel with table).
    2) Apply and remove the filter 3 or 4 times using the toolbar icon that looks like a funnel. You may notice that the filter stops working.
    3) Remove the filter using the funnel shaped icon.
    4) Open "Filter by Form' again using the icon.
    5) Clear the form using the 'X' icon.
    6) Apply the filter using the funnel shaped icon. This should return all of the record set.
    7) Navigate to the next record using the next record arrow in the lower left corner of the form.
    8) Access 2003 dies and sends a report to Microsoft.

The same Access project running in Access 2002 or 2000 will not crash with the above scenario. In Access 2003 I can't always reproduce this with forms connected to a single table but always with forms that contain one or more subforms.

Anyone encountered this one?

Dennis Geasan

I'm still using 2k, thanks for the tip though.

I'm getting the same problem.

I've got a recordsource assigned to the form in the way of a query. When clicking the 'filter by form' icon the user then enters the criteria for the filter and then applies the filter. Sometimes, not all the time, the database will crash and ask if you want to compact and repair the databse whilst also sending out an error report to Microsoft. Other times it will filter on the criteria entered or come up with a new record if it can't find a record based on the criteria entered.

I hope this helps someone to answer the question. It's a bit of a weird one.

Provided Answers: 5
    I do not think the sql connection is the problem

Have you tried to recreate the form and test that way?

Rename the form and copy to the existing name - does the system still crash?
    If so try Creating a new adp file and inport all of the objects. What I am getting at is: sound like corruption - Also look into doing a repair of office.
    Dale Houston, TX

I'll try that and let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed!

Many thanks,

Paul

I'm curious if you have any code in the OnCurrent event of the form (or subform(s)). I experienced crashing when using the Filter and I had some code in the OnCurrent event.

If you do have code in the OnCurrent event, try temporarily removing this code and see if it still crashes.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I do have code on the On_Current event. I'll take this out and see if there is any difference.

I didn't seem to get any change when I compacted and repaired the database but I'll try the latter suggestion.

Thanks in anticipation!

I've got rid of the code behind the On_Current event but I still seem to be getting the same problem.

Any fresh ideas people?

Here's another thought...I had experienced some random crashing when I had some of the properties of the Subform's PopUp=Yes and Modal=Yes. Not sure specifically why but when I changed these to No, the random crashing seemed to go away.

Also, have you maybe tried designing a fresh new subform to see if that resolves the issue? Or even a new mdb file and importing all the objects into it?

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    Also, have you maybe tried designing a fresh new subform to see if that resolves the issue? Or even a new mdb file and importing all the objects into it?

I think thisa is my next move. i tried setting the modal and pop-up properties of the sub form to 'No' (which they were already) but still no joy.

I'll try recreating the subform and also importing all the objects into a new database to see if this works.

Cheers guys and gals.

Provided Answers: 5

Before you do that

go to support.microsoft.com and download the jetcomp utility
    works wonders on corrupted db's
    Dale Houston, TX

There were 2 things if I recall that I changed in the subform which seemed to cause random crashes in 2003:
    1. Removed any OnCurrent and OnOpen/OnLoad events in the subform (I think removing the code in the OnOpen/OnLoad event was ultimately the solution).
    2. Changed the PopUp and Modal properties which I had set to True to False.

I did recreate the subform from scratch in another mdb and found that I didn't have any problems with that one. The one in the previous mdb was a subform where I had copied a Popup/Modal Form which had code in the OnOpen/OnLoad and OnCurrent events.

No joy with this one I'm afraid guys!

Just as an update these are some of the things I have tried to rectified the problem:

1. Compact and repaired database
    2. Created a new database and imported all the tables, forms, reports, modules, etc, etc.
    3. Took code out of the onCurrent event and OnOpen event.
    4. Prayed
    5. Recreated subforms of the main form where I was receiving the problem.

I'm still getting the problem where filtering on a textfield causes Access to crash.

Anyone else any ideas?

Thanks for keeping with me on this one.

Unhappy No Solutions ever found.

Since the time I first posted this thread I have given up and my client just deals with the crashes if they choose to use the Access filter tools. The filter tool in Access 2003 when used in a project file and an SQL database is just not stable. The instability occurs whenever you have subforms and manifests in several ways. What is also common and consistent is that extended use of the filter tools on the same forms will eventually cause Access to die. Sometimes it is so bad that the entire computer locks up and requires a power cycle. The latter is rare but can happen.

I've not taken time yet to test this in Access 2007. Let's hope MS got it fixed.

D. Geasan