Question Unanswered: OK, I can SELECT * from a table but I can't create a view of it?!

This is starting to boggle me --

I'm using the Oracle 9.2 SQL*Plus Worksheet tool and I have created a few views on some tables on our Oracle server. However when I try to create a view of one particular table it just doesn't work.

Here's basically what I've done:

Code:
    >CREATE VIEW MyLogin.MyView1 AS SELECT Field1, Field2, Field3 FROM Schema1.Table1;

View created.

>CREATE VIEW MyLogin.MyView2 AS SELECT Field1, Field2, Field3 FROM Schema1.Table2;

View created.

>CREATE VIEW MyLogin.MyView3 AS SELECT Field1, Field2, Field3 FROM Schema1.Table3;

CREATE VIEW MyLogin.MyView3 AS SELECT Field1, Field2, Field3 FROM Schema1.Table3;
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
    OK, so this would make you think that this so-called "Table3" does not exist correct? Well actually, it does. Furthermore, when I run a...

Code:
    SELECT Field1, Field2, Field3 FROM Schema1.Table3;
    .. That works just fine and I get all of the results spit back to me. So the table is there, I have select access to it... but for some reason when I try to create the view it is telling me that it doesn't exist!

Can anyone please help?

No I don't have access to SYS account or anything.. just normal public user with R/W to some tables and create view for my schema only. (maybe more than this but this is all that I know so far.. I know that I can't grant access to other users on my views and I can't even create new tables even in my own schema...)

A common problem.

can you do this:
    create table MyLogin.MyView3 AS SELECT Field1, Field2, Field3 FROM Schema1.Table3;

I wonder if that works.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Thanks for the response! As I said above, I can't create tables. When I try it, ...

Code:
    ERROR at line 7:
    ORA-01950: no privileges on tablespace 'USERS'

Anything else that I can try?

Thanks again!

hi

If u dont have the privilege CREATE TABLE....may be u also dont have thep privilege CREATE VIEW. Check that out ....

If that is not there then u can select from any given table for which u have rights but u wont be able to create the objects like tables or view...or even proc and functions tot hat matter.

regards
    abhivyakti

Quote Originally Posted by joshg
    Thanks for the response! As I said above, I can't create tables. When I try it, ...

Code:
    ERROR at line 7:
    ORA-01950: no privileges on tablespace 'USERS'

Anything else that I can try?

Thanks again!
    ah! now we get to the bottom of the problem!
    no privs on the tablespace

problem solved
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...