Unanswered: AS400 DB2 -> UDB (PC)???

Hi!
    I'm new here.
    My question may be silly for some admins, but i don't find any hints:
    I want to convert/migrate/move a db/2-database from AS400 to UDB on a Server. The Problem is ... this db has about 600 tables and no one wants to create 600 new tables at the UDB (for unload and load). Therefore my question: is there a tool/strateqy or idea to "backup" the AS400-db and restore it completly (structure and data) on the UDB-Server. INHO there must be an easy way, because it's both from IBM.

Thank you for your help.
    Marco.

PS: i'm sorry for my bad english

Quote Originally Posted by Mgo
    INHO there must be an easy way, because it's both from IBM.
    Funny

I don't think there is a way, definately a backup would not work, and I don't think db2move has an AS/400 equivalent that's compatible with db2/windows. Someone may correct me.

Can AS/400 db2 export IXFs? You can write a few scripts that should get it done with "IMPORT... CREATE INTO...", provided the tables aren't too huge. (use commitcount, too, to prevent log fulls)

Maybe db2look for as/400? db2 connect then use datajoiner to do an INSERT...SELECT?
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

read readbooks from IBM "Advanced Functions and Administration on DB2 Universal Database for iSeries" Chapter 6 section 6.5. This should work out for u.

seperat DB-strukture/DB-data export ???

Hi lahirm,
    hi Jonathan,
    thank you for your hints.

Seems as if there is no easy way to transfer the DB-structure and DB-Data in one export/import step ?

In the IBM-Paper is only the export/import for the data to existing tables described. Therefor i have to create the all the 600 tables first.
    Is this the right conclusion ?

Marco.

Cool

Hi,

Did u read the section I told u? In the UDB IMPORT utility u can specify whether just to INSERT or CREATE and INSERT the exported data. I have already done the same thing between V5R2 iSeries and UDB 8.1.5. The only difference was there were few tables and i did it table by table.

Lahiru.

Thanks!

Sure i did ...
    but i did't see it.
    But now (thanx!) i think i got it, you mean this, don't you:
    "IMPORT FROM C:\TEMP \DEF_FILE OF DEF CREATE INTO DB2ADMIN.TARGETTABLE2"

Marco.

Talking

Exactlly. Is this the one that you wanted ?

That's exactly what i want at the target-system (UDB). Thanx a lot.

But i need to make this IXF-Files on the AS400. I'm not an db-admin and i never worked with a AS400. Okay, the select-statement are no problem, but can all AS400 create IXF-Files, or is there a problem at older versions ? (The target-system (UDB) is nearly up-to-date V.8).

Marco.

I haven't tried this on versions older the iSeries V5R2 and UDB 8.1.5. But logically it should work becase this seems to be a basic function in DB2. Further u can clarify the versions supportablity by reading up the DB2 iSeries readbooks.

Try to configure UDB Contorl Center tool to AS/400 DB.(Sorry i haven't tried this but i will be doing so before end of the day.) If u could configure the tool then u can easily work with that tool to do all your Import and Export activities using the GUI without bothering about your AS 400 knowledge.

I hope u have the DB2 UDB windows Client installation, which has this GUI.

Lahiru.