Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Studying Databases

Hi,
    I'm looking for good source to study databases from the beginning to the end.
    I search in the internet,but there are many links.
    please help me to get it.
    best regards...

i just happen to have an answer "in stock".

have a look at:

http://www.geekgirls.com/menu_databases.htm (slow, easy tutorial)
    http://database.ittoolbox.com/docume...ent.asp?i=1092 (…but far too many adverts!)
    http://www.mvps.org/access/toc.htm (from beginner stuff to exotica)
    http://www.free-ed.net/fr03/lfc/030101/121/ (a detailed introduction to SQL)
    http://users.skynet.be/mpfa/ (an Access forum in French)
    http://www.self-access.com/access/ (a tutorial in French)
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.co.uk/t...20020910a.html (the design process)

and here of course (...if they ever get the search function sorted out!)

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Most of what I've learned so far has been from a class I took this past spring. I'm an IS major, and while I learned a whole lot, I'm now quickly learning that class knowledge and experience are two different things.

what not our own site?

ooops!

i see that some of these URLs have degraded since i last checked. geekgirls is still a nice site tho. the SQL site was really nice - shame it died!

seems to me that dbforums is not a bad place to discuss current problems, but there is a lot of stuff that gets posted here that is "wasted" (particularly with the currently dead search function).

by "wasted" i mean that a good solution gets posted here and ten days later there is another question on the same topic. it's not just the dead search problem, but the stuff here is not structured in a page1....page999 fashion -- you more-or-less need to know what you are talking about to post a question here.

anyone "out there" interested in collaborating on a completely free howto?

i've got some web space or maybe someone else "out there" has a private (faster/better/bigger) server they want to volunteer.

if the idea tickles you: send me PM --- and note that it's not an ego thing: anyone else wants to drive - cool with me.

only thing - for me to play i need it to be:
    a/free
    b/from 101 to guru

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I do have webspace. I have a website. I am currently working on putting a forum up on my website. If there is a way that several people could help put the tutorial together I wouldnt mind taking the pages and making them available on the web.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

izy, i've got web space, and i've already got several sql/database articles, including articles i didn't personally write, e.g. Fundamentals of Relational Database Design

and i've got tons o' good SQL Links too

so yeah, if i can help, let me know
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I too would love to write some how to articles but like everyone else it is the time. Really it all depends what you want. The forums are superb for getting descrete answers to descrete problems, and you can guarentee that somewhere on the web there will be something on any topic. However, if you want a good grounding on relational theory (as opposed to platform dependent knowledge) you really need to get invlolved with some sort of academic institution. For example, I am studying for a masters with the Open University (UK based correspondance based university - study in your own time etc.). The grounding is excellent, if a little abstract (how many people use relational calculus or relational algebra in practice? However, these are the theoretical bases of SQL so your understanding of the subject is deepened). Still, I now have some understanding of the roles of DBMSs and database schema and can apply this knowledge to any database from any manufacturor. So, I guess what I am saying is - it depends on what you mean by "from beginning to end". This could encompass a hell of a lot of information.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

As this has been a good discussion. Alot of people seem to want some kind of tutorial from 'start' to 'finish' and those two words will have to be defined. Start I would have to say would be by creating tables... and going from there to normalization (I already know of a good place that has a wonderful article on normalization), so on and so forth until you have to transfer up to SQL Server. Where to get it, how? some good resources. Just if alot of people just wrote articles on a subject they overcame we could put together a very comprehensive and encompassing tutorial for all to view because I have offered to host it for free.

I would like everyone interested in this to give me an email or pm.

JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Yes JS - agreed. When I joined this forum I checked out the threads with the most posts - there was a discussion on coding practise and this is probably the most interesting thread I've read. I think that threads such as this with a broad remit, provoking discussion and debate are the most valuable of all.

However, to return to the original point - I'm not a big fan of reinventing the wheel. I would be pretty excited by a site/ page that collates and categorises existing resources on the web, providing links and a short description of the content and a qualitative evaluation of these. Although I would find it hard to justify spending the time of actually writing articles I would be more than happy to contribute to, say, Izy's list of links
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Yes a list of links is good, but some people have already written articles. And by posting in the forum each thread is almost an article in and of itself. I just want a compilation of a 'searchable' set of articles, which is why I suggested putting it on my website I am a ColdFusion programmer on the side so I was willing to put in the time to create the search needed for this to work well.

I think the tut and a list of links would be invaluable.

JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

These aren't incompatible, I guess. A searchable list of hosted articles and hosted tutorials coupled with a searchable list of complementory categorised links would be fantastic. Are we witnessing the birth of the perfect database resource? What would dbFormus think!??!

The only caveat I would add is that you are volunteering yourself for a big ask - to be worthwhile such a venture needs to be better than anything else currently available otherswise you might as well direct people to another site. As I said, there is no point reinventing the wheel ... unless you are able to improve on it. You have my full support if you decide to go for it though! I admire your (and others) ambition.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

so, what do you guys think of my links?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Hi Rudy

I read your article on database design and relation theory and found it accessible and applicable to the real world (I note you resisted talking of tuples and relations and stuck to tables and records, for example). In addition, I sometimes think that normalisation is trotted out as an absolute definition of good practice when, as you kind of imply, it is really a guide to sound database construction - more important is to be aware of its principals, act on them by default yet be able justify any variation from its rules when you feel that such deviation is required. And oh so many other things... Like I said, I like debate and reflection.

I really didn't fancy checking out all your SQL links - I think they deserve more time. Your site is in my favourites now though.

I suppose your site is the sort of thing I'm talking about - unless you think you can better it, why not just provide a link to it? Multiply that out by all the other sites of equal value and to better what is already out there you would need a large and dedicated community of contributers.

I think this also links into a recent realisation of mine - as I learn more and incorporate this new knowledge into my applications, I find that their complexity increases exponentially yet the functional increase seems to remain linear. Before investing so much time into constructing such a site I would need to be confident that it would meet a demand that is not met by anything else out there, or at least could be betttered.
    As I say I have nothing but respect for yourself and others for putting these things together that I and others benefit from - I just doubt I would have the will to do it justice. Or perhaps I am just too reactionary or missing the point entirely.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

thanks, pootle_flump (fabulous name, by the way)

however, i should like to clarify, that wasn't my article, i only pointed it out because i will host other people's articles on my site

(because this thread was all about hosting articles)

my links are all mine, though, carefully cultivated over years of searching
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Just my thoughts on this. I am not that good with access, I can drag and drop all day but writing the code is difficult (will be going back to school soon), so I come here for some pointers. But I think that a tutorial section would be great. Have any of you been to www.antionline.com? It is a pretty good computer security site. What I like about it is the search engine and the tutorial section.

I appreciate all the help you have all given and yes I like the geekgirl link.

Mike