Thread: MySQL Backups

Unanswered: MySQL Backups

The company I'm working for bought Legato Networker for all of their backup needs before I began working here. Networker seems to be okay along the lines of static file backups, but there's no MySQL module for database backups. So what I'm looking for now is the best possible route to go for enterprise (large) database backups. I would prefer something open source since they've already put many thousands of dollars into their current backup system here, but we may have to consider some other solution. I was thinking about doing mysldumps on the entire databases every night so they would be included in the incremental Networker backup, but the person in charge of backups here says we don't have sufficient space on our tapes for that. Could anybody point me in the right direction with this?
    -Adriano
    Last edited by weed; 05-21-04 at 12:25.

Info?

Can you give us more details on the backups (size, how often, and if you want it automated or user interactive)? It would also be nice to know what os you are running.
    Last edited by sqlhack; 05-21-04 at 12:29.

We're running all RedHat Enterprise linux machines here. My options are tape or hd, I can't be here to change cd/dvds while the backups are taking place. Also, I may be getting a machine dedicated to my backup purposes - disk space is irrelevant, that'll be taken care of. I need a solution software-wise, if you know what I mean.

This is the software that we use on our Redhat 'Net servers and we are happy with it. One thing to be aware of when using this product is that it is not a beginners click and play toy, in other words know what, when and how you want to back up, and always test your backups to make shure they work. One bonus feature of this product is the price, depending on the package you could be done for under a grand! Another thing to keep in mind when dealing with backup software is that you dont want to take any chances, especialy with free software, because right when you get pissed off at why your computer self-destructed and lost all its data, its going to make you madder to find out that your backups are not going to work.

This is from the Red Hat Site (here):

Arkeia Network Backup is a proven enterprise solution that provides fast and reliable data protection for business-critical information. Developed in 1996 as the first professional network backup software for Linux, Arkeia has maintained its leadership among solutions by offering continuous support for the constantly evolving Linux platform. For example, it is one of the only enterprise backup solutions to preserve Linux ACLs. The recently released version Arkeia 5.2 passed certification processes for the most widely used commercial Linux distributions such as SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server, RedHat Enterprise Server ready program and the Mandrake Linux 9.2 distribution. Arkeia Network Backup can include Linux bare metal disaster recovery modules and hot backup plug-ins for Oracle, DB2, Lotus, MySQL and MS-Exchange. Arkeia supports hundreds of tape libraries and drives, plus more than 30 operating systems/hardware combinations. By using multiflow/multiplex technologies and client side compression, Arkeia is capable of backup speeds that often exceed the network's rated speed. Its unique transaction engine allows multiple backups and restores to be performed simultaneously with complete security. Arkeia is designed to overcome network and system errors by providing trouble-free data backup and seamless data restore. Technical aspects such as point-of-interruption restart from network failure, server-less tape restore, and catalog backup are just a few of Arkeia's many features that make a system administrator's life easier. For growing IT infrastructures, Arkeia is easily and inexpensively scalable from a small setup to a complex heterogeneous network with hundreds of computers.
    The Arkeia site is located here

Keep in mind you get what you pay for!