Unanswered: Simple(?) Backup - Restore Question

Greetings,

Been lurking for a while, and new to MS-SQL, and didn't see an answer to a question that I have.

Running MS-SQL2000. SP2

Have a need to make a backup of a database at midnight on the last day of the month and to then make that data available to Accounting for end of month reporting.

The easy part was to schedule a full backup to occur at midnight on the last day of the month. The db was backed up to the file name Chorro_MonthEnd.BAK.

I then added to the scheduled job the following T-SQL:

RESTORE DATABASE [Chorro_MonthEnd] FROM DISK = N'D:\Data Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\Chorro_MonthEnd.bak'

The question(s) that I have are:

1) The data in the db Chorro_MonthEnd should be over-written with the data from the restore?

2) Since the Chorro_MonthEnd db exists, is MOVE necessary as part of the restore command? I have been told that if you don't use the MOVE command, it puts the original file names back into wherever directory structure they were backed up from. The concern is that it could overwrite the original db MDF/LDF files.

What we are trying to avoid is having someone from the IS side of the house having to be on-site to restore a db for Accounting. IS type get cranky if they don't get enough sleep

Thanks in advance....

Brian

Probably need MOVE

If this dump is being restored to the same server, then you will need to use the MOVE option. You will probably also need the REPLACE option, to force dropping the previous version of Chorro_MonthEnd.

If you are restoring to a different server, and its disk is configured similarly, you can get away with only the REPLACE option. (Why would you want Accounting mucking with your server?)

Thanks....

Thanks for the answer.

Accounting is not so much "mucking" with the server as with the data. One of their requirements is to have a accurate, detailed(i.e., serialized box) inventory. In a 24hr manufacturing environment they tend to go through inventory quickly.

Having a "snapshot" of the database available for them gives them the ability to come in at normal business hours to perform their month-end procedures. Instead of coming in at 12:00am and "borrow" 5-10 PC to run the procedures that they require.

Thanks again....

Brian