Unanswered: how to call a help document by press of a button

hi,

i have a databse and for that database i wrote a help file how to use the various forms and other stuff in word document form now i want to call this document when a user clicks on the Help button on the main form can this be done in any way let me know. any help is appreciated.

Thanks

crude reply:

use word (if you must!) to save your help as .html

add a label (easiest) "Help" to your form --- set the hyperlink property to your (newly created) .html

...and relax.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

You don't have to use html either. You can place a link to any file that Windows will recognize (so any registered file type).

If you have Adobe available, printing your Wrod doc to PDF and using that as the help file is pretty clean, easy and secure.

Have fun

Thanks for the help i solved the problem thaks once again.

Quote Originally Posted by somanchivasu
    hi,

i have a databse and for that database i wrote a help file how to use the various forms and other stuff in word document form now i want to call this document when a user clicks on the Help button on the main form can this be done in any way let me know. any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    I use this on a label with the OnClick event. Click on the labels properties and then Event. You will see three little dots to the right of the OnClick event. Click the dots and a screen will open and one line will refer to the label name and the second line will be End Sub.

Private Sub Label123_Click()

Const MSTB_MSWORD = 300&

Application.Run "utility.util_StartMSToolbarApp", MSTB_MSWORD

Dim docName As Object
    Set docName = CreateObject("Word.Basic")

docName.FileOpen "c:\Letters\0Letter1.doc"

End Sub

This works on Access 95.

If you have trouble with it there is another way which is very simple.

Go to Explorer and right click on your Word file and in the menu thatg comes up will be Create Shortcut. This will generate a file with a name like Shortcut to YourFileName. Rename it to something short. Let's say you rename it to abc. The the actual file name will be abc.lnk

Now go to the DOS screen and do CD\ then Enter to get the C:\> prompt.

At the prompt do the following

Type Copy Con xyz.bat and then hit Enter
    On the next line type abc.lnk then hit enter
    On the next line press Ctrl Z and then hit enter.

A message will come up On file copied.

Now go to your macro screen to make a new macro. For the fiest action select SetWarnings and at the bottom of the macro screen enter No.

For the next action line select RunApp and for the command line at the bottom of the screen enter

c:\abc.bat

Now save the macro and then run from OnClick off a label and your Word document should open OK.

Mike

thanks for all the detailed instructions it works fine and i learned something new.
    thaks you