Unanswered: If table exists check

Hi,

Here is my scenario, I will be checking whether my temporary table (tab1) exists or not. if it exists I will do select, insert opertaions on that table. Else I will create the temproary table. Please find below the code snippet for the same. When I execute the below code I get compilation Error that object tempdb.tab1 does not exists in the line marked as "//ERROR_PORTION" . Please guide me on this.

IF EXISTS (SELECT 'x' FROM tempdb..sysobjects where type='U' and name='tab1' )
    BEGIN
    SELECT * FROM tempdb..tab1 WHERE .... //ERROR_PORTION
    INSERT INTO tempdb..tab1 VALUES(......) //ERROR_PORTION
    END

ELSE
    BEGIN
    Declare @createStatement1 varchar(100)
    SELECT @createStatement1 = 'CREATE TABLE tempdb..tab1 ( .......) '
    EXECUTE ( @createStatement1 )
    END

Please note: Sybase manual has mentioned that when "Create" statement is encountered, the schema for the table will be generated. Hence I had modified the "Create Statement " as a string and used "EXECUTE" command to avoid compilation error.

you should use execute in both places that is if condition is true also..

Thanks sushant for the info. If have to use "Execute" for Select Query then is there any possiblity that i can store the value in any variable. For example:

IF EXISTS (SELECT 'x' FROM tempdb..sysobjects where type='U' and name='tab1' )
    BEGIN
    SELECT @variable1 = col1 FROM tempdb..tab1 WHERE .... //If Execute command is used with the select query as a string then I need to store the retrived data in another variable.
    :::::::
    :::::::

Kindly guide me.