Question Unanswered: Backup to UNC or Share?

Hi All,

Hopefully a painless and quick question to answer:

Am backing up the SQL2000 database(s) using the maintenance plan's under management in the Enterprise Manager.
    All is fine however, we are running out of diskspace as the database grows, which is causing the backup to fail if I don't manually remove the nights before.

I have selected to delete old backup files however these files are deleted after the new file is generated and due to the lack of space the new one is not being generated....so in effect the older ones never get a chance to be deleted.

So I was wanting to know if it is at all possible to backup to a UNC path or share . I have tried however it raises an error saying it is not a valid path.

Any assistance here is hugly appreciated (asides from getting new disk - as this isn't a short term option at the moment)...

Cheers all
    Troy
    Sideways see's more scenery

Make sure the SQL Server Startup account has permissions to access the share.
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

To backup a database over network use:
    backup database database_name
    to DISK = '\\machineName\FolderName\filename.dat'
    remember the login with which slq server service is logged on should have rights on this network path.

but taking backup across the network will slow down the whole process.
    Instead taking the backup locally and then copying the files would be a better idea, you can have your custom procedures to copy the files and delete them etc.

Righto - thanks guys. So what I am thinking is because I am logged onto the local machine, and not an administrator on the remote machine - this is the reason why the warning is being raised when setting it up.
    I know the service has the permissions to that share - so in theory all should work well....

Well thanks for the confirmation - I will post back if it fails....hopefully you won't hear from me again

Cheers
    Troy
    Sideways see's more scenery