Angry Unanswered: Application database lock !

Hello,

I have created 2 different applications using PowerBuiler 8.0. These applications connect to a Sybase SQL Anywhere 7 database via the same DSN connection.

The problem is that if the 2nd application is open, the 1st doesn't open (no-error reported). If I close the 2nd one, then the 1st suddenly opens. I believe it has something to do with database locking.

I have tried to use different DSN's (one for each application) but the problem remained.

Any ideas ?

sspan

hard to say whatz happening based on your description. If the second user is bounced, then most likley possibility is that you are using the desktop(single user) version of the SQL Anywhere(dbeng7) instead of dbsrv7.

can't think of anything else without errors

Hi,

I forgot to let you know that if I run the 1st application on say 6 PC's (in a network, 1 Database server) simultanously, no problem (since I am using dbsrv7). If I run the 2nd app on one of these and then try to open the 1st app on another PC, it cannot open. I mean it starts OK (I can see that in the Task Manager), it connects to the database (I can see it in the database server's Sybase Central), but when I try to login in the app (which is one SELECT script and two INSERT scripts), the next PB form that must appear does not open !

I see in the Sybase Central that the 1st app is "Blocked On" the second app and that the 1st app's last request was: Cursor Fetch (which means that the fetch never ended and it still tries ?). At this exact point, if I close the 2nd app, then the 1st app pops up ("Blocked On" becomes 0) and the PB form appears !

That's why I believe it is a lock of some kind. Any ideas ?

sspan

Also the PC's run windows 2000 and they connect to the database server via TCP/IP (in the DSN, Network: IP=192.92.2.2:2638)

R U using any Services to run this application ?

No, I am not using services neither for the PB applications, nor for the dbsrv7 on the database server...

Could be an open transaction in second appliction...

Turn on traces 11201, 11202, 11203, 11204,11205,11206 and see what exactly is going on in errorlog.

Caution: These traces produce huge outputs in errorlog so turn them on only when you need it.

Let us know and if possible post the output.

Hi,

How do I turn on the traces you mention ? Via the Sybase Central, via the PB applications (in the powerbuilder script) ?

Quote Originally Posted by mkalsi
    Could be an open transaction in second appliction...

Turn on traces 11201, 11202, 11203, 11204,11205,11206 and see what exactly is going on in errorlog.

Caution: These traces produce huge outputs in errorlog so turn them on only when you need it.

Let us know and if possible post the output.
    Hello,

Any news on my question ?

hi
    for such scripts, i advise you not to use powerbuilder, but a tool like sqlAdvantage or isql

to turn on these flags, use :
    dbcc traceon([list of flags])
    go

don't forget to turn them off with :
    dbcc traceoff([same list of course])
    go

go in the errorLog to view the results

Thanks, but since there is no such command (dbcc) in Sybase SQL Anywhere, is there any other way to trace the problem ?

Any suggestions on how to trace the problem ?