Question Unanswered: Customising appearance of command buttons?

Hello again

Does anybody know if there is a way to customise the appearance of command buttons? I know you can customise input boxes etc, like background colour and border style, using the Properties list, but there doesn't seem to be any option for command buttons. Please tell me there is a way, otherwise my database is going to look incredibly ugly.

Thanks very much

Grace

You could try to use crate and use a XP Manifest file and see if that will give your app buttons that XP look. Or you can try a third party control which you will undoubtably need to pay for.

Or...you can get artsy fartsy along with some VBA coding and simulate your own buttons using a Image control and or Label controls.

Not sure how

Thanks for your reply.

How would I do this? What VBA coding would be involved, and where would I find this coding (if you couldn't provide it)??

Cheers

Grace

Well...since you are indeed interested...I took the liberty to create a sample (attached).

I'm not very artsy but I think you can get the idea. The code is not commented since it is quite easy to follow the little bit of code there is.

In the sample I have provided several different looking types of buttons with each button consisting of two Image controls.

I have also provided code to simulate Mouse Off Cancel to the Exit button on the form. Mouse Off Cancel is where the mouse button is pressed but if you change your mind while still holding down the left mouse button and move it off the button control, the button is not activated.

To make the sample smaller...I could have Linked the images to their respective controls but this would slow down the effect quite a bit therefore the images are embedded.

Enjoy...

Attached Files Attached Files

Hello....

Thanks heaps for your reply, and for designing the database, I really appreciate it. I'll have a look at it now and let you know how it goes ASAP.

Thanks again

Grace

Hey Grace,
    You can also use any bmp pic (maybe others as well, not sure), resize it to whatever you like and use that with your toolbox to create buttons. You can add whatever text you want and customize it pretty easy. An example is that I have my baby girl opening a state census page.

Mike

Quick and Dirty

Hi Grace,

I suspect that this may not be what you want, but I thought I'd mention it.

A quick & dirty method is to create a button as usual, but set it to invisible and place it over an image, or text, of your choosing.
    It's not very neat, but it works in a pinch.

Otherwise you can create an on_click event for any picture/text (letting you create your own buttons in another program). You can then assign a simple macro to achieve the same effect as a button.

Cheers,
    frekster

I just reread Mike's post, and realised I may have repeated his idea - sorry if that's what you meant. I just didn't think of it like that until after I'd posted

frekster