Question Unanswered: Access or VB with Mysql

Hi All.
    Currently my organization is undergoing restructuring of existing databases. Previously, certain applications were made using FoxPro and other applications were using MS Access. What i am planning to do is migrate everything to mysql, using it as backend. Now my problem is regarding the Front End? Which application to use? Visual Basic or MS Access? What would be more advantageous in terms of performance and future support and consume less time for modifications? I tried to search online but really could not find anything to justify any particular choice. Can anybody plz suggest some idea here or give some reference, which will help me finalize the decision regarding the appropriate front end.

Thank u all in advance for all your time and efforts.

Cheers:
    Prathmesh

Wink

You can choose VB as front end. It is quite easy. If u want to get help on connection then go for VBMySQL forum. You will get the connection strings and help how to connect by ODBC driver. But it may work slow. I don't know why. Because I have done samething. Besides it is working fine but the connection very slow. It may be becuase my database is not indexed. I will try for that and later come to u.

The issue is the use of MS Access and MySQL.

My current answer is use them both. With ODBC (MyODBC) it is possible to have MySQL tables appear in Access as 'linked' tables. This translates into using MS Access as a front end to MySQL.

Thus all forms, queries and reports developed in MS Access can also use MySQL tables as a data source. In fact it is possible to use both MS Access and MySQL mixed.

Further to the same, VB can access either MS Access (as we all know), it can access MySQL and if these two are linked, VB has entree to both.

At first, there was a concern about performance but for the last 6 months there has been no noticable performance degradation at any level.

What this all comes down to is you have a choice.

Best of luck.

Exclamation

Can u explain the connectivity to both MySQL and Access 2000. Might be that will help me for faster connection.

Hi Sisir,
    Thanks for your reply. I dont exactly understand when u say connectivity between MS Access and mysql. I presume, u r talking about how will I connect mysql and MS Access (i may be wrong here), that will be through ODBC. Currently we have a FoxPro DB going on, but we are going to scrap it because foxpro just cant handle the data requirements here. Hence mysql will be backend, which is, I have heard, a reasonably good database. U said about mixing MS Access and mysql, wont that make things complicated? How easy will it be to change data or do modifications? Currently here we have a LAN of 100/100Mbps, so n/w connectivity would not be a prob i guess. Client machines are somewhat slower, so I want to keep processing on client m/cs as minimal as possible and let the server, where mysql will be residing, do the job of querying and sending the data across.

Hope to hear something from you soon.

Cheers:
    Prathmesh