Unanswered: Can i set my access database to be executed like an exe?

i have a database to be used in a intranet. i wish to use de DB without using the mbd extension. i would like the DB to be executed like an independ application. i read in previous threads (when the search of DB Forums still worked) that could be done by transforming de *.mbd to a *.mde. is this the only way? and if it is, how can i do it?

Thank Very Much!

You cannot do this *in any way*. An MDE file is simply an MDB file that has its code stored in a compiled state, and thus not readable/hackable. It still needs Access to run under.

You can package Access as an application with a Setup program by using the MS Office Developer Edition (up until the XP version), but this is the only way you will be able to distribute it. This will distribute the Runtime version of Access, but at no time will you be able to transform an MDB or an MDE into an executable file. You'll always need the JET engine of Access to run it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!!
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

ohhh, ok! well i though it could be turned into an exe, like an application in VB. Maybe i´ll try to use the MS Office Developer Edition.

thank you

Just a minor warning... the Developer edition works just fine, but sometimes can be a pain. Set it up correct, keep multiple versions of Access off the client and you should be ok. There are ways to handle multiple versions of Access, but this is not for the faint of heart.
    good luck
    Winston

transform MDE to EXE, this is what i do, use this software here

Mde to Exe

Hi dear,

But the software mde to exe complier is a demo version. How can I register or activate???????????

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by anujkmehrotra View Post
    Hi dear,

But the software mde to exe complier is a demo version. How can I register or activate???????????
    MDECompiler.com - Convert MDE to EXE , MDE2EXE
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 14
    The so called "MDE Compiler" does not convert an Access database to a "true" executable. It encapsulate the MDE (or MDB) file and adds a loader to it, but you still need to install Access on the target machine: The converted .exe file cannot run without it (see attachment).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDECompiler.jpg  
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 19
    you also need to understand that the Developer Edition with Runtime will cost fairly big bucks, prior to Version 2007. With this 2007 the Runtime became a free download.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007