Unanswered: Error 3001 - Invalid Argument

Hi all. I have a problem with importing tables into MS Access 2003. Everytime I try to import a table it gives me an 'Invalid Argument' error. What can I do?!?

Are you trying to convert the data or import data into another table?

I am trying to import the data from an accounting system into access to run queries on.

Are you importing them into an existing table? Have you exported them from your accounting program? Are you creating a linked table to the accounting system?

Here is why I am asking. If you are importing them into an existing table then the error is coming from unlike data types. You are trying to insert an incorrect data type. Like trying to enter the letter z instead of a 1.

Tell me the database type that you are importing.

Im importing the objects as a table on its own. I've never had the the problem before. I have imported the same data before (like a month ago) and had no problems.

Could it be the size of the imported data?!?

So your taking the accounting program and exporting your records?
    What format does it export as?

Have you tried to bring them into Excel to look at the data too see if there is any data errors?

I need some more information than your providing me with so we can help you.
    What steps are you taking. ect..

Yes, I have tried importing it into Excel and it seems OK.

These the steps I take.

Towards the end of every month I import these three tables into access by going to Access > import > ODBC Databases > Machine Data Tab and then select the Data Source > Select the tables I want imported. It has been working fine for the past few months.

The Accounting software has its data stored on a networkdrive and there is a ODBC Administrator Software that comes with the Accounting package. The ODBC Administration Software is where I create the connection to the accounting data and then create a DSN for the 3 tables I need to import into Access.

Have you tried to recreate your DNS in your software? It might have gotten corrupted. I might also try and link the table instead of importing it. See if that works.

Hey thanks for the help so far.

I've tried linking it, recreating the DNS in the ODBC Software and it still comes up with the same error message - Invalid Argument...

Ok try this. Import it into excel then pull the table in from excel to see if you get the same error. If you do then you know it has to be a data error. IF not let me know.

I've imported on of the 3 tables I have to import (the smallest one) and it worked fine....

Any Help?!?

Possible Solution

Even though this is an old post, it kept popping up when I was searching for my issue.

When an access databases reaches 2GB it will no longer allow you to insert data. I found this article which fixed our issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;835416