Unanswered: Is there a way to script Enterprise Man. registrations?

I need to transfer numerous (>100) SQL Server registrations from my PC to another. Is there a quick way to do it or does it need to be done manually? SQL Server 7.5, PC is W2K.

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 11
    The registrations are kept in the windows registry, and are simple enough that you can probably get the keys to come over. All the same, make sure you have a good backup of the registry, before you add in a bunch of new keys.

Off the top of your head, do you know where these keys reside in the registry?

Looks like they are in
    HKEY_USERS\(your SID)\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\tools\sqlew\registered servers

click on "tools" in mmc and go to "options". in "general" tab select "read from remote:"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    Looks like they are in
    HKEY_USERS\(your SID)\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\tools\sqlew\registered servers
    Thanks! The key I actually exported\imported is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\S QLEW\Registered Servers X\group name. Worked fine, at least on my machine.

ms_sql_dba: That is a nice find. I can't seem to get it to work just yet, and BOL is pretty stingy with information about it, too. I keep getting a Registry Read Error 2 (Can not find the file specified.). Any thoughts? Could be security, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by crafuse
    Thanks! The key I actually exported\imported is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\S QLEW\Registered Servers X\group name. Worked fine, at least on my machine.
    Also, you have to export/import the following key that stores the System DSN info. Note, though, that you should export this current key from the target machine and ADD the values from the previous machine, otherwise you will overwrite those System DSNs previously configured on the target machine. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\ Client\ConnectTo
    Last edited by crafuse; 05-26-04 at 13:15.

Well, I got a partial answer to my own question. Just have not figured out why I am not seeing the right servers, still...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d.../75517c04.mspx

My original problem was not clearing the checkbox for "Read/Store user independent". Now my problem is I can not actually get changes to come across.

Dang it all. It appears to be bugged.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...ticle%3D280836

Hopefully, this will be fixed in SP1 for SQL 2005.