Thread: Backup

Unanswered: Backup

Hi,

Can anybody give me some ideas on what I can do about backing up my database in Access97?

Thanks

How large of a file is it? How are you wanting to do it. I actually have recently been doing studies on backing up business computer systems. I have found a completely automated way of backing up a business. If you are a business and have more than one GB of info you would like backed up please email me. If you have less than that I would recommend CD's or DVD's or something such as that.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

yuh. if it's small, just copy the .mdb or whatever to a different filename and store it on a cd-rw.

Just to be sure: you guys don't think it would be better to extract the data but to just copy the whole database? The db is quite small (less than one GB) so this is do-able I suppose. How often would you recommend copying the thing?

How often do you make changes to it? If you make changes every day I would recommend everyday at the end of the day. I have an automatic backup system that backs up all of the computers in the office every night after everyone is gone.

I hope that helps.
    JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Hi,

I do add data everyday. Is it possible to program an automatic export to Excell or whatever? And if so, is this a plausible option as a back-up?

I would also just back up the .mdb because not only are you backing up data, but you are also backing up your forms, routines etc. .

If you wish to just back up just the data.. there is an option to export your data to flat files. . There probably is a method to be able to do that via code. . .
    The early bird may get the worm. . .
    but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

There is definitely a method to do it in code... its just a matter of finding someone that knows the proper code, or finding the actual code.

Try some googling.

JS

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs