Unanswered: SQL Server in a high availability environment

I've been asked to look into the possibility of using SQL Server in a high availability environment. We have a few web based applications that use SQL Server back end DBs. What we are looking into is whether we can use multiple instances (on multiple physical servers) of SQL Server using some type of clustering/load balancing. I haven't worked with SQL Replication before, so I'm not even sure where to start in exploring the possible avenues we can explore.

Can anyone push me in the right direction? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

Microsoft Cluster

Hello,

We implemented NSI GeoCluster and it was crashing our system. We disabled the replication and now our system does not crash.

My suggestion after this nightmare deployment is to use a Microsoft clustering solution that microsoft will support using an Array. It is more expensive, but you will not have any issues, it will NEVER crash and MSFT will support all solutions 100%.

This is just my opinion.

Thanks

Thanks for the info RW.

Bill

No problem

Bill,

Not a problem. One more thing looking at your original post. With this array, that holds the SQL Server database(s), you can still attach multiple servers and have good load balancing, they just will all point to the same DB.

Take care.

Replication is not used for a high availability environment. look into log shipping it's the cheapest way of implementing a high availability environment.

Really?

But aren't you then at risk for data loss (at least to the point of the most recent log dump)?

Would that also require manual intervention should the server go down?

Thanks,

Bill