Question Unanswered: Creating a report 4 cells wide

Hello,

I'm trying to create a report in which each record fills a space 1.25" high by 2" wide, with 4 records per row. In design mode, I created a 1.25" x 2" cell, then used Page Setup to specify 4 columns. But when I displayed, I got a message that said there wasn't enough horizontal space to display properly, and indeed the 4th column was halfway off the page. I reduced the cell width to 1.75", but still had the same problem.

I then tried the Label Wizard. I couldn't find a label of the right size, so I used one that was .5" x 2", with 4 labels per row. It worked fine, with no horizontal spacing problems. But when I took it into design view and changed the height to 1.25" by dragging the boundary, the horizontal problem reappeared.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Thanks,
    DeeperLook

Did you check the margins and the space between columns. If you want 4 columns of 2 inches, that only leaves .5 inches for margins and column spacing. I'm not sure what the end goal is for you, but you may want to keep in mind the minimum margins needed to stay in the printable area of the report.

Creating report 4 cells wide

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    Did you check the margins and the space between columns. If you want 4 columns of 2 inches, that only leaves .5 inches for margins and column spacing. I'm not sure what the end goal is for you, but you may want to keep in mind the minimum margins needed to stay in the printable area of the report.
    I did check the margins, but I didn't check the space between the columns. But the strange thing is that there were no errors when I used the Label Wizard to generate 4 columns of 2 inches each, and I didn't have to go to the Page Setup form at all. But when I used Design Mode to adjust the height of the labels, the width error returned. Is it possible that the Wizard controls some property that I can't control in design mode?

The reason I want four columns is that I need to get a certain number of records on a single page, and 3 columns won't do it.

The wizard probably set the column spacing to 0". It might have defaulted to a standard spacing (0.25" most likely) when you played with the design. Make sure that your column total + margins + column spacing <=8.5, you may need to reduce the column size to 1.8 to allow for spacing and keep your data from running together. With labels spacing isn't an issue because they are typically removed from the sheet after printing.

Creating a report 4 cells wide

Rogue,
    Thanks for the advice. But I haven't been able to find anything on the report property sheet that would let me specify a column count or a column spacing. I've only seen these settings on the Page Setup form, and I don't want the user to have to adjust his own settings. Rather, I want these settings to be a permanent part of the report itself. Is it possible that I'm overlooking something on the property sheet?

If you set them in the page set up then save the report, the report should hold the settings (it's been awhile since I used columns). If it doesn't, you can do the page set up with code in the on open event of the report.