Unanswered: one-to-many relations between fact table and dimension table

Hi,

we have a problem with "one-to-many relations between fact table and dimension table". Take the example of table "LOGGEDFLAW" which is related one-to-many to the table "LOGGEDREASON. "LOGGEDFLAW" includes the column "FLAWKEY" and "LOGGEDREASON" includes the column "REASONKEY" and essentiallay the column "FLAWKEY" as foreign key. Now assume that we have the following records in there:

LOGGEDFLAW
    1) FLAW1
    2) FLAW2

LOGGEDREASON
    1) REASON1,FLAW1
    2) REASON2,FLAW1
    3) REASON3,FLAW2

Now assume, that "LOGGEDFLAW" is the facttable and "FLAWCOUNT" is the measure with the source column "FLAWKEY" in which we want to count the number of FLAWs. As you see in the example the number of FLAWs is 1 for "FLAW1" and "FLAW2". Microsoft Analysis Server generates the value of 2 for the number of FLAWs "FLAW1" because of the one-to-many relationship to the table "LOGGEDREASON". In the attached ZIP File you find :

- a MDB File with the described example
    - a screenshot from the cube constructed in AS
    - a screenshot from the result table generated with AS.

The question: How is it possible to calculate the measure "FLAWCOUNT" correctly, ignoring the records generated by the one-to-many relationship?

Best regards,
    Thorsten
    Attached Files Attached Files

Why don't you use LoggedReason as the fact table and use a distinct count of FLAWKEY to create a "number of flaws" dimension?

That may be problematic if some flaws don't have reasons.

I'd like to hear the solution that you end up using.

Thanks, but it is only a sample. In my application I must used LOGGEDFLAW as the fact table.

use distinct count of FLAWKEY as the dimension and keep LOGGEDFLAW as the dimension.

That will work perfectly for flaw count but other dimensions may be harder to achieve.

That should have read:

use distinct count of FLAWKEY as the FLAWCOUNT measure and keep LOGGEDFLAW as the fact table.

Sorry, got my vocabulary mixed up.

Sorry, I cannot use distinct count because I'm creating a local cube and distinct count is not supported in local cubes.
    Also distict count shows the number of differen Values in the measure property.

Regards,
    Thorsten