Thread: Gui Query Tool

Unanswered: Gui Query Tool

I'm looking for suggestions on what Query tool to use on SQL DB's for a group
    of people who are used to creating ACCESS QUERIES. I'm having trouble running SQL as the backend and ACCESS as the query tool to run ANALYSIS.
    TIMEOUT issues and such. So, I thought we might as well use the SQL tools.
    Any suggestions...
    jm

Provided Answers: 1
    Are you running your Access front-end as a straight Access mdb file with links to the SQL Server database, or are you running an Access Data Project (.adp file) with a connection to your SQL Server database? The second option should be more efficient.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

.MDB and LINKED INTO SQL

I did try that, but I didn't have a whole lot of time to look at it. Are you able to create queries in the ADP file?
    jm

An ADP file is like a mini-Enterprise Manager. You have a connection to the database through which you can create views, stored procs, even tables. There is very little design-wise which you cannot do.

Your users can use this to create views on the SQL Server database. These will be much more efficient than running linked queries. Make sure that your users each have a separate logon, so that they will be the only owners of the objects (views, procedures...) that they create, and make sure that these logons do not give them permissions to edit data or table structures that they should not have.

But it will give them a GUI environment for creating views.

blindman

Thanks Blindman..
    Is there any other tools native to MS SQL that they can use if they would rather use SQL...
    thanks again
    jm

Query Analyzer is the tool of choice, but it does not have a GUI.

I would NOT recommend using the GUI tool built into Enterprise Manager for viewing table data. I think it gives a deceptive amount of control to the user, who may accidentally edit live data.

blindman