Unanswered: Refresh Interval in Access 2002 - does it work?

Greetings. I am new to the forum but it looks very good.

I have a multiuser Access 2002 application (Access 2000 database format) with a split backend/frontend (.mdb files with linked tables, not .adp). I want to turn off the Refreshing of records because I want to control when to do a requery via code (and do a bunch of other things at the same time). I know that .ADP projects have a bug where the Refresh Interval doesn't work, but I cannot get the Refresh Interval to work consistently for .mdb/Jet files either. In Tools - Options - Advanced, I set Refresh Interval = 0 (which should mean never, according to Access help and Litwin/Getz book) and it still refreshes across a network. The refresh seems to happen after somewhere between 90 seconds and 400 seconds, but it still refreshes. I tried varying the ODBC Refresh Interval but cannot tell if that has any affect (and don't think it should).

I have searched forums, the web, the Microsoft Knowledgbase, and Litwin/Getz and the assumption is that the Refresh Interval works. It would help if someone just said "I use it and it works". Even more helpful would be a reference to an article or something about HOW IT WORKS/What Else is Going On that it doesn't seem to work for me.

Thanks

Cool

Ok, all you experts out there! Any experience with the Refresh Interval? Does it work (even if you don't know what I am doing wrong)?