I have a rather peculiar problem regarding Access reports. I have developed a database on a Windows 2000 Desktop PC using Access XP. I have installed the database on Windows XP Desktop PC's running Access 2000. I have checked all references etc. are there and the database runs fine apart from an unusual problem. When I print any report straight to the printer on a windows XP PC the database prints the report and then crashes. When I view the same reports and THEN print them by using print menu they print fine.
This problem does not occur on the windows 2000 PC. In order to rectify this problem I have so far:
1) Upgraded Access 2000 to Access Xp.
2) Updated the Printer driver.
3) Updated Windows XP using the Windows Update site.
4) Logged in as Administrator to see if it was caused by permissions.
Still it doesn't work, I am now lost and under pressure to get this to work - please help!!!!
developed a database on a Windows 2000 Desktop PC using Access XP
installed the database on Windows XP Desktop PC's running Access 2000
There was a switcheroo here; perhaps the problem is related to running an XP developed App in Access 2K?
Also, the workstation setup actually does not give Admin all rights by default; so don't necessarily rule out permissions.
The most trouble I've ever had with Access is working with printers - especially if there is something outside the scope of what Microsoft wants to consider "normal" (such as custom page sizes, dot matrix printers, etc.). Normal for Microsoft is 8.5” x 11” on a Laser printer with 1” margins. Also, previewing it first versus printing on the fly are different operations (batch versus continuous) so it could be a resources issue.
You need to narrow down what is actually causing the problem:
Try right clicking on a short Word Doc and choose "Print" on one of the problem machines. This will essentially perform the same operation as sending an Access Report directly to the printer. Afterwards, check the task manager to make sure Word properly closed and is no longer listed as a running App or Process.
Try printing several different reports, some with the same Recordsource, and some with a different Recordsource to the problem printer.
Try printing the report with a different printer (known to be good) as default.
Have the task manager open and watch the performance while printing the report. If it pegs and stays pegged, there may be a problem processing the report.