Unanswered: Expanding Fields in Reports

Hi

I'm trying to create a report which will return certain fields in columns. (I'm hoping someone will know what I mean )

I would like the report to automatically enlarge the fields when it encounters data on multiple lines.
    ie.
    RSD 53
    A Town
    State

If I enable can grow , it will enlarge to fit in all the data, but the dividing lines between fields stay the same length.

The attached picture should give you an idea of what I mean. If my address is only one line deep, the dividing lines will join seemlessly - otherwise there will be a gap.

Is there any way I can resolve this?

Thanks,

frekster
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails example.bmp  

Did you get around with theese lines?

I have the same problems with my report. (The lines have to be longer in some cases). Did you find a solution for this?

Provided Answers: 59
    Probably (IE I haven't tested it) you could place some code in the reports on format event, test the height of the detail section, or control which can grow and set the dividing line height accordingly
    HTH

Yes, but at OnFormat the height of detail section is not calculated.
    If i check the height of detail section on Print, I will get different heights (depending on ..), but at this point I'm not allowed to change the heights of the lines.

Is there something between OnFormat and OnPrint?

Hi frekster22,

Not sure if you are trying to do what I did, but in my report I have a field that can be very small or very large depending on the amount of data I input. This field is set as a MemoField and set to CanGrow/Shrink and all. However, what I did to Show this in my report and have the Lines surrounding the Field to grow and show the lines adjusting with it is once I placed the TextBox on the Report, I set it's Border from Transparent to Solid. I didn't actually place a box around that field. But still line your fields up against each other and you will have the appearance of solid smooth lines like in a Spreadsheet. Anyhow, that's how mine is set up and works very well. No broken lines to fix.

have a wonderful Holiday!!!!
    BUD

Thanks guys

Hi All

In short, I didn't ever get this working properly. I cannot remember the exact problem now (7 months later :P), but I believe that in the end I used your trick Bud. I vaguely remember that this didn't quite do what I wanted (I think I couldn't align the text correctly), but it was close enough.

Good luck Posan, I hope you get it working.

And Happy New Years, late though it now is

Cheers,
    Frekster

Quote Originally Posted by frekster22
    Hi All

In short, I didn't ever get this working properly. I cannot remember the exact problem now (7 months later :P), but I believe that in the end I used your trick Bud. I vaguely remember that this didn't quite do what I wanted (I think I couldn't align the text correctly), but it was close enough.

Good luck Posan, I hope you get it working.

And Happy New Years, late though it now is

Cheers,
    Frekster
    Hi frekster22,

If you could why don't you make a copy of your database, ZIP it down and POST it here. Remove sensitive data and replace with dummy data. Sometimes it's easier to get better help that way.

hope you had a Happy New Year entry....
    have a nice one,
    BUD

I went back and had a look through the database. It looks like I avoided the problem altogether by splitting the address field into parts, and then placing them all within the one box, making it look like one entry.

Either way, this database is out of my hands now, so it's now up to someone else. Speaking of which, if anyone in the Adelaide Hills is into professional database design and looking for work, feel free to give me an email at frankyg@ozemail.com.au, as my dad's business is currently looking for someone.

Cheers,
    Frekster