Unanswered: SQL Query Question

Hello,

I have a large Back Up Database of a Forum that I need to Restore onto another server and the file size is rather large (13.9MB) and I was wondering if there were any programs available to partition this sql file into multiple files of smaller size that I could upload one at a time or something.. cause phpMyAdmin times out everytime I try to upload it.

I would really appreciate your help, I can't figure out how I'm gonna ever get it moved over

Thanks,
    Justin.

Hi,

If you have to split a file and upload it, then the final user of the file has to merge the file.. There are lot of free file splitter softwares are available in the net. Probably you can download one and split the file. But after uploading all the splitted files, you need to upload the s/w also, so that end user will merge the splitted files using the same s/w.

If this is not your problem, please write more clearly about your problem. I could not understand whether this is anything related to sql..

Suneel
    Regards
    Suneel

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin171985
    Hello,

I have a large Back Up Database of a Forum that I need to Restore onto another server and the file size is rather large (13.9MB) and I was wondering if there were any programs available to partition this sql file into multiple files of smaller size that I could upload one at a time or something.. cause phpMyAdmin times out everytime I try to upload it.

I would really appreciate your help, I can't figure out how I'm gonna ever get it moved over

Thanks,
    Justin.
    A 13 Mb file should typically load in seconds, rarely more than a minute even if the MySQL Server is under heavy load. I think that your problem is something other than the amount of data that you are trying to load.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by suneel.kumar
    If this is not your problem, please write more clearly about your problem. I could not understand whether this is anything related to sql..
    I think that Justin is trying to move the data from one MySQL server to another (for example, changing forum hosts).

If that is the case, and the new host is having problems loading a 13 Mb file, then there are other problems. My first guess would be that the host is having troubles accessing the file (for example, the NFS access isn't behaving very well). If the server is actually hanging trying to load a 13 Mb file, I'd keep right on searching for a new host, that one is already badly overloaded or mis-tuned!

-PatP

???

Which Database system are you using. If you are using a system like Informix or Oracle you may need to dimention your database. It may be smaller than 13M.