Exclamation Unanswered: Administrative question for SQL Server 2000

Hello gentlemen,

I would like to ask a question, more like to verify something that I know myself.
    I have an installation in SQL Server 7.0 (SP4), that hosts a database of 70gb with an average growth of 5 gb a month, that is being 'hitted' with an average of 600 clients, (about 50 to 90 concurrent hits). My question is :

Given the fact that I wish to upgrade my server to an SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition, how much RAM should I fit to the new machine?

I do have my suspicion, and I would like to keep it to myself for now, I would like also to ask if there's a formula for ram calculation. Mind you I don't ask for MINIMUM RAM, but more like OPTIMUM RAM, being that this Server hosts a critical system.

Thank you in advance.

Given the fact that I wish to upgrade my server to an SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition, how much RAM should I fit to the new machine?

You want as much as you can afford. RAM is cheap in the grand scheme of things. Get the 8 gigs (I'm assuming you don't have data center) if you can afford it. RAM is probably the single most important factor in SQL Server performance.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

I know that, actually, I 've suggested that myself to the IT Management, but let's just say they're 'stingy' (to say the least (!)). So I was looking for a rule of the thumb kind of thing.

Thank you tho for the reply