Unanswered: update related file automatically

Hi, I'm new to access but fluent in filemaker. What I would ultimately like to do is have table customer related to customer info. the related fields would be customer ID for both. When I enter a new customer name, it would create, a new record for customer info and enter the ([customer] customer id) in the ([customer info] customer id) field so that I would have a record dedicated to the new customer in the customer info field.
    Thanks for the help, let me know if you need more info.
    Raif
    raif@mailblocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raif
    Hi, I'm new to access but fluent in filemaker. What I would ultimately like to do is have table customer related to customer info. the related fields would be customer ID for both. When I enter a new customer name, it would create, a new record for customer info and enter the ([customer] customer id) in the ([customer info] customer id) field so that I would have a record dedicated to the new customer in the customer info field.
    Thanks for the help, let me know if you need more info.
    Raif
    raif@mailblocks.com
    Hi Raif and welcome to the forum,
    Just read your post and sounds like you already have it taken care of. You have your tables set up correctly already, or at least you have the basic concept of it. When you created the tables did you set up the Relationships also? If you are asking HOW to create such tables let me know and will try to help you get there step by step. I am unfamiliar with FileMaker and not sure if it handles things similar fashion to Access or not. I'll be checking back on you.

Bud

Thanks for getting back to me. I have the tables and their related etc, the part I'm haveing trouble with is this part
    "it would create, a new record for customer info and enter the ([customer] customer id) in the ([customer info] customer id) field so that I would have a record dedicated to the new customer in the customer info field."
    When I enter something in the customer id field in the customer table it doesn't put that number in the customer id field in the customer info table.
    Thanks again
    Raif

Hi Raif,

I'm home now. Could you make a copy of your database, dump the real info and replace it with dummy data, then Zip it and Post it here so that I can get it and take a look at it. People like me sometimes need to see it before it can be fixed. Also that's a good practice on this forum to get fast help without much of the ping-pong effect. (posting back and forth repeatedly trying to get it resolved). I would be glad to take a look at it for you to see if I can fix it...no guarantee, but sounds like it's doable.

have a nice one,
    Bud

Thanks bud but I think I got it figured out. I put in a form and had the same problem but then realized that It just wasn't updating the cust. id field untill I entered info into the cust info sub form. So that's fix but I am more than certain there will be plenty of other ? so I will sure to supply zipped dbs in future.
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Raif
    Thanks bud but I think I got it figured out. I put in a form and had the same problem but then realized that It just wasn't updating the cust. id field untill I entered info into the cust info sub form. So that's fix but I am more than certain there will be plenty of other ? so I will sure to supply zipped dbs in future.
    Thanks again
    Sure thing Raif. The reason for Zipped DB as well as posting your code on here also serves another purpose. If other users have the same problems and you find the solution, you post it and others can thing solve their situations also. Oftentimes without having to re-ask a question. See, that way we all help one another. Have a nice one and will be looking out.

Bud