Unanswered: Restore selective tables?

HI,
    Is it possible in SQL Server to restore Databases partially?
    In the sense, I want to backup just 2 tables from a database & restore them, instead of having to take a backup of the entire database & restore the entire database.

One way to do would be to export data & then importing data for only those selective tables, but I dont want to do that, bcause that would probably take more time & can be error prone.

Thanks
    Raman.

I think this can be done by putting the tables in their own filegroup which can be backed up by itself.

The short answer is no.

How would you do a partial RESTORE anyway?

Is the other database on the same box?

you could use bcp....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Hi

You can create a seperate filegroup and create selective tables on that. Then individually backup that filegroup from rest of the database. Plus backup the transaction log.
    When you need to restore those restore the filegroup backup and the transaction log. However, it is unlike any other db system and I would recommend doing a complete backup, restoring it to another server and then restore/transfer selected table

BOL implies that you can add filegroups to an existing DB but cannot move tables from one filegroup to another. I guess you would have to export the data, drop the existing tables, create new tables on a new filegroup and then import the data to the new tables.

Backup in EM has an option for backing up files/filegroups doesn't it?