Unanswered: Time management Newbie

Any help appreciated,

I need to have a record of how long it takes to build a machine, this will be broken down into subsections like

Fabrication Mechanical Topping Electrical Test Misc’

So the machines will be identified by company and machine, as there could be 2 identical machines for 2 different companies.

I need to input the work done by individual employees who could work on various machines and at various stages of the process through the week, total of 10 employees. I then need to total all the work done for a particular campany/machine from all employees, and view the breakdown of that time, in the format of who done what and for how long.

I also need to keep a running average time of all identical machines….so

All xb1’s take so many hours
    All xr4’s take so many hours etc

now i come to the part where i am really honest, i don't have a clue where to start. i have a very basic understanding of access, but i'm sure this is the better way to go to manipulate my data.

thanks in advance

First, begin writing things out on paper regarding things you need to see within your database. Write down what tables you think you will need, and what fields you will need in those tables. As you are doing this continue going back to your specs to make sure you are on track. Read up on normalizing your database, and then revise your table structures. Keep related items together in tables, and avoid replicating data within a table. I could go on and on about normalization, but the best way to learn about it is just to read up!

Do a google search for normalization and database design.

Here is one from MS:
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...EC010553071033

thanks for the advice i realise it will be a long process.

Here is the article I was looking for